Styx - Mr Roboto (1983)

Music is a powerful vehicle for storytelling and conveying emotions, and Styx demonstrated this masterfully with their iconic song "Mr. Roboto." Released in 1983 as part of the album "Kilroy Was Here," this composition not only marked a milestone in Styx's career but also became an anthem of the 1980s and left an enduring mark on the history of rock.
 

Kilroy's World and the Rebellion of "Mr. Roboto"


The song "Mr. Roboto" unfolds in a dystopian world where humanity is oppressed by technology and machines. The narrative follows Kilroy, a character hiding in this robot-dominated universe who rebels against the oppression. Dennis DeYoung's unmistakable introduction, with the Japanese expression "Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto," has become a rallying cry encapsulating the essence of the song.


(Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto)
どうもありがとうミスターロボット (domo arigato misuta Roboto)
また会う日まで (mata au-oo hima de)
どうもありがとうミスターロボット (domo arigato misuta Roboto)
秘密を知りたい (himitsu wo shiri tai)


You're wondering who I am (Secret, secret, I've got a secret)
Machine or mannequin (Secret, secret, I've got a secret)
With parts made in Japan (Secret, secret, I've got a secret)
I am the modren man


I've got a secret I've been hiding under my skin
My heart is human, my blood is boiling, my brain IBM
So if you see me acting strangely, don't be surprised
I'm just a man who needed someone and somewhere to hide
To keep me alive, just keep me alive
Somewhere to hide to keep me alive


I'm not a robot without emotions, I'm not what you see
I've come to help you with your problems, so we can be free
I'm not a hero, I'm not a savior, forget what you know
I'm just a man whose circumstances went beyond his control
Beyond my control, we all need control
I need control, we all need control

The Conceptual Story of "Kilroy Was Here"

The song is just one piece of the broader conceptual puzzle presented in the album "Kilroy Was Here." The album tells the story of Kilroy, a rocker pursued by Dr. Righteous, a moralistic leader, in a world where rock music has been banned. This conceptual narrative reflects Styx's concern about censorship and the loss of individuality in a controlled society.


The Creative Force of Styx


Styx, hailing from Chicago, has been an influential band in the rock scene since their formation in the 1970s. Blending elements of progressive rock with touches of pop and arena rock, Styx created a distinctive sound that appealed to a wide audience. The band was comprised of talented musicians such as Dennis DeYoung, Tommy Shaw, and James Young, each bringing their unique style to the mix.

The Enduring Success of "Mr. Roboto"



"Mr. Roboto" was not only a chart-topping success but also became a symbol of the 1980s rock era. The song resonated with audiences for its fusion of traditional rock and synthesizer elements, encapsulating the musical transition of the decade. Despite changes in the industry, the song remains a fan favorite and has withstood the test of time.

Styx's Legacy and "Mr. Roboto"


Styx continues to be a force in the music scene, and "Mr. Roboto" is one of the cornerstones of their extensive repertoire. The song and its associated album are not only testimonials to the band's ability to tell stories through music but also examples of their courage to explore new creative directions. Ultimately, "Mr. Roboto" is not just a song but a journey into a futuristic world where music becomes a tool of resistance against technological oppression.

Post a Comment

0 Comments